Changing Places Changing Lives
Groundwork works across the UK helping communities find practical solutions to the challenges they face. We provide training and create jobs, reduce energy use and waste, re-connect people with nature and transform whole neighbourhoods. Step by step we’ll go on changing places and changing lives until everywhere is vibrant and green, every community is strong enough to shape its own destiny and everyone can reach their potential.
About The Programme: What is NCS?
The National Citizen Service (NCS) is a youth development programme aimed at increasing integration and social cohesion in wider society. In the summer and autumn, young people of diverse backgrounds engage in a range of hands-on, group activities.
The first phase is aimed at challenging the young people using team building, problem solving and widening comfort zones. In the second phase, the emphasis shifts toward building life skills, taking part in enterprise challenges and exploring the world of work and personal development. In the third phase, young people work together to design and deliver a social action project in their local community aimed at addressing specific local needs.
About the role
As the Wave Leader you will play a crucial role in supporting the smooth running of the programme, known as a wave. You will lead, energise and inspire your wave of young people. You will be responsible for delivering curriculum sessions, coordinating programme logistics and compliance measures, safeguarding and pastoral care of young people, and line management of programme staff.
This is a fulfilling and challenging role where you will make a real impact on the lives of young people. As part of this role, you will need prior experience of programme coordination and support as well as pastoral care. Whilst on programme you will support a cohesive team environment working closely with the Team Leaders and Inclusion Mentors, supported by core NCS Groundwork London staff. This is a rewarding and demanding role, suitable for those with an enthusiasm for youth work and smooth programme coordination.
● You will proactively assist in coordinating all programme logistics and compliance measures
● You will line manage your staff team – Team Leaders and Inclusion Mentors – by providing coaching and feedback
● You will be responsible for the safeguarding, behaviour management and pastoral care of a group of young people
● You will report to core Groundwork SW staff to ensure that they are regularly updated on the status of your waves
● You will communicate and model the values of the NCS Trust and ensure that young people and staff are acting in accordance with those values
● You will need to deliver curriculum sessions in line with the programme, including guided reflection for the young people
● You will lead visits to community partners and charities and foster those relationships to deliver meaningful social action
● You will actively support your team of young people to plan their social action project
● You will follow all policies and procedures as laid out by Groundwork SW specifically regarding safeguarding, health and safety, risk assessment, GDPR and incident reporting
The summer programmes will run from 28th June – 8th July and 8th – 19th August. This is a two-week programme. The first week is residential (4 nights and 5 days) and the second week takes place for 4 or 5 days in the local community.
Salary approx. £1015 for the 10-day summer programme
To apply for this job please visit www.groundwork.org.uk.